What are the dates for the 2023 events?
The EBOS 2023 events are as follows –
Spring Event – May 13, 14 and May 20, 21. Registration opens February 1 and closes March 1.
Winter Event – December 2,3. Registration will open in October.
Who can participate in the East Bay Open Studios Event?
Any artist working in any visual medium at any level of their career who has a studio or exhibition space in Alameda County or Contra Costa County is invited to participate in the events. This is a non-juried event giving all visual artists in the entire East Bay an equal opportunity to show and sell their work to the public and to experience the event.
Do I have to participate in two weekends?
No. The minimum requirement is participation in Weekend 1 or Weekend 2, or both weekends.
How much does it cost to participate?
Full Year Participation (Both Spring and Winter Events) – $150
Spring Event Only – $125
Winter Event Only – $75
Option to Feature Your Profile on the Website and the Catalog – $150
What do I get in return for my registration fee?
Artist registration fees help to cover the costs of all printed and online marketing materials, advertising, and publicity including posters, drop cards, guidebooks, signage, website, social media marketing, the rental of the venue for the Spring Exhibition and other associated costs.
- Artist Profile on the website including 5 images, artist statement, tag-line, location, contact information, location on a digital map and the option to include video
- Artist information and map location on the VIBEMAP app
- Artist information and location (no image) in the printed catalog
- Opportunity to participate in the Spring salon-style exhibition
- Opportunity to participate in 3 mixers and 3 professional development seminars throughout the year for FREE
- For an additional fee you may Feature your profile on the website (moves your profile to the top of all search results) and be included in the printed catalog with an 1/8 page profile (image, location, contact info, etc).
- Access to self-printable digital files; fliers, post cards, sandwich board size
- A limited number of guidebooks per artist with more distributed to Community Hubs.
How long will my artist profile be active on the website?
The artist profile is active based on the artists registration. Artists may pay the annual participation fee or may pay for each event individually –
- Full Year Registration – Profile is active for full year
- Spring Event Only – Profile up for approximately 8 months
- Winter Event Only – Profile is active for approximately 4 months
Where will I be able to pick up catalogs?
We set up a date, time frame and location for artists to pick up guidebooks for their own distribution and for distribution to venues around the East Bay for the public, about 3 weeks before the event begins.
How will the event be marketed to the public?
Digital News and Events Websites – (East Bay Express, Oaklandside, Berkeleyside) and other digital platforms that reach other targeted areas of the SF Bay Area.
Social Media – Instagram and Facebook, both native and paid advertising buys
Community Hubs and Partners – expanding our reach via the list serves and audiences of our Community Hubs and Partners
Publicity campaigns will run prior and during the event for potential media coverage.
Individual artists should also market their participation in the event to their fans and followers. The more cross-promotion that takes place, the more it will benefit everyone.
If I have to cancel, is my registration fee refundable?
Registration fees are non-refundable.
I am a member of an art collective. Are there different artist registration fees for collectives?
No. Registration fees are per individual artist, not per group.
However, if a collective has 10 – 15 artists registered for the event, the collective would then qualify for a free quarter-page ad in the printed catalog. For 16 – 20 artists you would qualify for a free half-page ad and for 21 or more artists you would qualify for a free full-page ad.
How will you know that I am part of a collective?
I want to share my space with another artist. Do they have to pay a registration fee as well?
Yes. Artist registrations are per artist, not per venue or location. You must agree to our terms and conditions in order to participate in the event.
Do I have to do a live demonstration during my open studio?
No. You are not obligated to do any live demonstrations. However, it is encouraged because it will draw more attention to your show and hopefully inspire sales. The public enjoys and is inspired by live demonstrations as it gives them a unique experience at open studio events. Make sure to note any special events; date, time, etc. when you register and create your profile